I have noticed a lot of business owners know the importance and power of blogging for their business. They set up a blog or add one to their website, and then are faced with the task of actually writing the blog posts. Just about everyone I talk to has found that when it comes to writing about their own business or service, they hit a roadblock. Faced with writers block, they search for a solution. The most common solution they land on is to have someone else write their blog posts for them…here are some of the ways I have heard this:
- "I have all of my employees submit one blog post a month… I have 4 employees so I can just post one a week and I am all done."
- "Do you know how cheap a professional writer is? For $20 or $30 bucks I can get a blog post… I just get it posted and its done."
- "It's tough to write something about my business… I just give it to someone else to do". or...
- "I don't really like writing about myself. I should get to this stuff, but I have not written anything so far."
Well, if you fall into this gigantic group of people, you are missing out, and here is why:
- If you don't write your own blog posts, you miss the opportunity to think about and refine your business.
- Writing about yourself or your business gives you a chance to put yourself into your customers' shoes and look at your business through their eyes.
- If you turn this task over to someone else, this may be an indicator that you don't enjoy your business, that it is not something that adds to your happiness.
- Writing your own blog posts helps you focus on you, and what you may need to do to change you as you relate to your business.
- You are depriving your business of you, and ultimately you are your own greatest asset.
Try and sit down and write your own business blog. If it is not easy, that tells you something very important. Take the opportunity to learn because overcoming the block may mean money for your business, and happiness for you.